Our skin is more than just something to keep us together and make us look our best - it's an essential part of who we are! Not only does it comprise 16% of a person’s total body weight, but plays multiple roles in keeping us healthy. As the first thing others see when they meet you, caring for your largest organ isn't optional—it's key to ensuring its important functions can be carried out without interruption!
After years of struggling with dry skin, I have found a way to finally bring relief and I’m excited to share what I’ve learned with you.
Let’s explore an array of holistic skincare tips to help restore and maintain your skin’s naturally beautiful radiance.
Simple changes can prevent dry skin
- Use a gentle, fragrance free cleanser like our Lil’ Bee Goat Milk Soap
- Apply moisturizer immediately after drying off from the shower, washing your face or hands
- Wear lip balm
- Use a balm, butter or cream rather than a lotion
- Apply balm to the face 30 minutes prior to going outside along with a form of sunscreen
Let’s look at some natural remedies that can help soothe dry, irritated skin. If you suffer from scaly patches or cracks that can even cause bleeding in some cases these tips are for you.
Our skin is amazing! Not only does it protect us, but it naturally produces its own oil to keep our pores healthy and hydrated. Unfortunately, simple tasks like using harsh soaps, skipping moisturizer or harsh winter weather can take a toll on this natural defense system leaving you vulnerable to drying out your complexion.
Using natural oils to relieve dry skin
Mother Nature has been providing us with skin and hair care solutions for centuries! Products like coconut oil, shea butter oil, and olive oil have passed through the generations as natural ways to keep our skin moisturized and protected against bacteria. Recently they’ve become more popular again — no additives or extra ingredients required! Plus they can be an affordable way of treating your body right without breaking the bank.
- Use a tallow balm with olive oil to cleanse your skin (I even use it to remove makeup). Olive oil is a good choice as a cleanser because it won't strip your skin’s natural oils, but it will clean your skin. Pamper yourself with a soothing face treatment! Gently massage the oil into your skin, then indulge in some self-care by placing a warm and damp cloth over your face until it's cooled.
- Create your own hydrating mask using kitchen ingredients. Puree half an avocado and mix it with 1 teaspoon (tsp) of olive oil; you can also add 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of honey for very dry skin. Apply the mask to your face, leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, and then wash it off. Your skin should feel moisturized, but you can double up on the hydrating effects by applying your regular moisturizer as well.
- Add oil to your bathtub Add your favorite oil to the bathwater and enjoy a short, relaxing dip. Once you're done, gently pat-dry instead of vigorously rubbing off all the nourishing oils - giving your skin that extra touch of TLC. Then apply more oil for maximum hydration before getting dressed.
Discovering the perfect amount of oil to nourish your skin may take a bit of experimentation. There's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to moisturizing, so listening carefully to what your skin needs is essential. If you find that things start becoming too greasy, it simply means it's time for less and not more!
Other options to help relieve dry, cracked skin include:
Soaking in oatmeal Adding oatmeal to a warm bath can naturally rehydrate dry skin, the oat product itself is soothing and it helps your skin retain moisture from the bathwater.
Exfoliate Your Face With a Homemade Oatmeal Honey Mask Combine two tablespoons of oats, one tablespoon of honey and a splash of water to create an exfoliating-mask combo that nourishes and cleanses. Start by warming the mixture then gently buff into skin for gentle yet effective exfoliation or keep it on as a face mask to soothe dryness, hydrate skin cells - talking fifteen minutes maximum for optimum results.
Soak in milk with lavender - milk will give your bathwater a smooth, silky feel, and lavender will create a relaxing environment. Research has found that milk is packed with lactic acid - an exfoliant mild enough for everyday use along with natural anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe dry skin.
If you don’t have time to fill the tub - consider soaking your hands and/or feet in a warm bowl of water with milk and oatmeal.
Make the switch
From beauty products to body care items, the high prices and dangerous chemicals lurking in traditional brands can leave us feeling overwhelmed. Thankfully, we don't need to surrender our health or wallets when it comes to these everyday essentials!
As informed consumers, let’s empower ourselves with knowledge that helps bust mainstream standards—knowledge like never putting anything on our skin unless you'd eat it (with some exceptions). Let's reclaim what is rightfully ours - natural well-being inside & out.
Express your love for yourself and reconnect with your body through handcrafted skin care rituals, staying hydrated and choosing skin loving foods you enjoy. Turn away from criticizing the way you look and focus instead on being as healthy—physically, mentally, emotionally—as possible. Acknowledge all that's wonderful about who you are; each person is a special combination of characteristics no one else can replicate! Let nature take its course: revel in what makes you unique today by nurturing yourself with these self-care practices.
Your new routine
A glowing complexion starts with a solid face care routine: cleansing and moisturizing are the essential pillars of healthy, youthful skin! As experts highlighted in Dermatologic Clinics' January 2019 review, establishing these basics is key for maintaining your best look.
Step 1. Cleanse daily - morning and at night with a gentle, fragrance free cleanser.
Step 2. Moisturize
Step 3. Use an SPF of 30 or higher
Having identified the perfect skincare routine for you, a crucial last step is staying consistent. Continuing to use your regimen of products will ensure that all their amazing benefits can be fully enjoyed; switching them up too regularly won't give your skin cells time to reap maximum results!
Although it may take a little extra time, winter proofing your skin routine is worth it in the long run. By following the simple tips we listed above, you can help keep your skin looking and feeling its best all season long.